Our hall, originally a Tithe Barn, was gifted in 1947 by Colonel J.P. Goodden, then owner of Compton Estate, for the enjoyment of all residents in both villages. In 1957 the land surrounding the hall was also donated. In December 1969 the hall became a registered charity.
Since 1947 the hall has played a pivotal role within the local community, especially as there is no school, shop, post office, bus service, library provision or church hall. It is the central hub of the villages and is well attended. The local residents are enthusiastic and committed to maintaining the hall.
Over the years the villagers worked hard to maintain the Tithe Barn and its extension, but it reached a point where significant updating and redevelopment was required.
A commitee was created to define and manage the development and fundraising efforts with the goal of providing the villages with a more sustainable building, updated and extended to provide good quality facilities for the focal point of village life.
Successful fundraising and the support of a variety of sponsors means that Phase 1 of the redevelopment was completed during 2021. This included damp proofing, upgraded electrics, connection to mains sewage, redecoration and resurfacing of the main hall wood floor. This work was completed on time and within budget in July 2021.
Continuing fundraising efforts allowed the completion of Phase 2 of the work in early 2023 which, despite a few issues along the way, was completed within budget. The redevelopment involved internal alterations to enable a larger and better equipped kitchen, upgraded toilet facilities and internal storage.
The total raised for the redevelopment was a fantastic £180,000 and we are very grateful to villagers and local companies who supported us in our fundraising efforts as well as the major funders who gave sizeable grants.
The National Lottery Community Fund awarded us a grant of £60,000 towards Phase 2 of the redevelopment which was a significant step toward the total required.
The Garfield Weston Foundation kindly awarded us a grant of £15,000 towards the Phase 2 redevelopment.
We would like to thank the following sponsors, who have very generously donated to our fundraising appeal
National Lottery Community Fund
Garfield Weston Foundation
Viridor Credits Environmental Company
ACRE (Action with Communities in Rural England)
The 29th May 1961 Charitable Trust
Queen Thorne Parish Council
Tesco Bags of Help.
A J Wakely & Sons Funeral Directors, 16 Newland, Sherborne, DT9 4RQ, Tel: 01935 816817 website: www.ajwakely.com
David Evans Plumbing & Heating Ltd, The Old Gas Works, Gas House Hill, Sherborne, DT9 3NH Tel: 01935 814835
Bayley Electrical Limited, Yeovil, Tel: 01935 428966 or 07815 199757 website: bayleyelectrical.co.uk